Report an Incident (RIDDOR)

For any serious workplace accidents, dangerous incidents or occupational diseases that occur on work premises there is a responsibility on employers to report them to the HSE (Health & Safety Executive). In 1995, in order to regulate this process, the HSE introduced RIDDOR - Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations which sets out the guidelines employers need to follow to meet their legal requirements.

What to Report
If any injury or accident occurs as a direct result of a working activity, it must be reported. Identifying whether an incident is connected with work can be helped by considering how the work was carried out, if any of the work equipment, such as machinery, was involved, or if the accident occurred due to the condition of the environment/premises. A reportable injury will include major injuries such as fractures or broken bones, burns, loss of sight, unconsciousness or any incident resulting in admittance to hospital for over 24 hours. Any major injury must be reported to HSE as soon as possible. Any fatality within the workplace must also be reported immediately.

Additionally, any minor injury that doesn't fall within these criteria, but does lead to an employee being absent from work for more than seven consecutive days, must be reported within 15 days of the accident. Employers must also report any occupational disease upon receipt of a doctor's note detailing diagnosis of a disease due to work place activity.

Lastly, employers have an obligation to report dangerous occurrences, which are near miss events that may not have caused any injury but had the potential to do so. Reporting these occurrences allow the HSE to ensure that employers act responsibly and react to such incidents appropriately to avoid a repeat incident that may well cause injury. An example of a dangerous occurrence would be an unintentional explosion or failure of safety equipment.

For a full list or reportable incidents, visit

How to Report an Incident
The most efficient way to report an incident is by going to the HSE website and completing their online form. Once completed, a copy of the form will be emailed to the supplied email address and employers must legally keep this on file.
For serious or fatal injuries there is also the option to call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923.